Sunday, April 5, 2009

Little Person, Big World

I have just arrived in Copenhagen, Denmark! After several hours on a couple of planes I find myself sitting with my computer trying to take it all in. For your visionary needs, I am sitting on a red couch in the midst of a great room in a hostel called 'Sleep in Heaven." I couldn't make that name up. I am here, believe it or not, on business. I am trying to set up all of the necessary items (lodging, food, transportation, etc) for the Bridges F.C. tour here in July.

As it stands, I am exceptionally tired as I was unable to sleep on the plane for reasons I am still unsure of. Usually I sleep so well on planes. It is 2:16p here, but only 6:16a back home. I am doing my best to stay awake for the next six hours though I imagine it will be a dreadful task.

In the meantime, I have gone on a little walk both to exchange some money in the local currency (Danish Krona; 5.46 to the USD if you were curious) and to explore a little. To be quite honest, I'm not entirely sure where I am. I just know I am about a 20 min tram ride from the airport and about 2 tram stops from Downtown Copenhagen.

But enough of the babbling - as I wandered this afternoon I was absolutely floored (as I often am in new cultures) to see the both the amazing number of people as well as interests that I was able to survey as I walked up and down the street. I saw Christians (fish on car) and Muslims (garb). Blacks, and whites. Men and Women. Children and old folk.

It was during this walk that I was opened, though not for the first time, at how big this earth is. At to how many different people inhabit and call it home. I was shocked at the number of buildings, shops, and other types of places that while are so new to me are no more than commonplace to many.

In all honesty, it caused me to step back and thing of the magnitude of our God. As I saw one man get out of his car it would be my guess that we are immensely different (race, age, religion, demographic). And yet I couldn't help but think of the very simple truth that God knows his name. I certainly do not. I probably never will. But that does not mean God does not, and has not labeled every hair on his head.

All to say I am both nervous and excited to see what else is in store on this trip. I just felt a need to write how small I felt on an immensely larger earth in the hands of an even still immensely larger God.

No comments: